The Abs Have It
One of the biggest motivations for any workout is getting the ab definition of a goddess, but it’s pretty tough to navigate just how to get there. This crash course in washboard workouts will have you sweating and crunching in no time [and nearly all of them are free! More money for this, I suppose]. Enjoy!
Sparkpeople 15-Minute Abs Workout
Tara Stiles Yoga for Strong Abs
Sadi Nardini Ab Transformer
Sadi Nardini Yoga for Core Strength
Body Rock Kissable Abs
Body Rock Epic Abs
Fitness Model Abs Workout
Victoria’s Secret Abs Workout
SarahFit Endless Summer Abs
HULU FITNESS CHANNEL WORKOUTS
Envy Girls Abs of Envy
SELF Firm Flat Abs Fast!
Exercise TV Incredible Abs
Jillian Michael’s Mini Workouts: Abs
‘The Situation’s’ Ab Workout [jk. kind of.]
Jillian Michaels Six-Week Six-Pack
Crunch-Free Extreme Abs
Pilates Workout for Abs
Yoga for Fit Abs DVD
ONLINE PRINTABLE WORKOUTS
Lady Gaga’s Ab Workout
Sadi Nardini Ab Transformer
Women’s Health Flat Abs Workout
FitSugar Ab Workout
12 Foods for a Flat Belly
Eating to Flatten Your Stomach
Jillian Michaels on Abs
[Originally posted on MatchstickMolly.com]
This is a picture of me and my two gorgeous best friends. Clearly, we all have very different body types, and you know what? None of us is healthier, prettier or happier than the others because of it.
That’s me on the left. I’m short, super petite, and have about as much muscle mass as a blob of gelatin. Despite being naturally thin, I have always been far from in shape. Not even a month ago, running two minutes at a time was a struggle—now I can run without stopping for more than a half hour.
Felicia, in the center, is probably the most active girl I know. The opposite of me, she’s one of those people that can build muscle just by looking in the direction of a dumbbell. She loves running like I do, and we’ve discussed running a 5k. She’s a big yoga enthusiast and has tried all sorts of different forms that I can’t pronounce, and she’s found free community yoga classes for us to attend together. Also, she has abs of steel, seriously. She’s helping me with my ab workouts. She’s also recently lost over 60 lbs through her active lifestyle and healthy diet.
That’s my friend Maddy on the right. She’s curvy and feminine, but she’s a beast in the gym. Strength training is her thing. She could probably bench press two of me. Not only is she incredibly strong, she’s insanely flexible and an avid pole dancer. We’re taking classes together even though she can spin circles around me on that damn pole, and look gorgeous while she does it.
My friends inspire me so much, and remind me that diversity is lovely. You don’t have to be skinny to be beautiful and confident, nor do you have to look like girls in Nike ads to be strong and fit. You don’t need to weigh a certain number, fit into a certain size, or have a certain appearance to be confident, healthy, or happy. I think that my friends prove that to me.
I’ll never be long and willowy like a supermodel, or well-built like all those fitspo girls. I’ll never look like either of my friends, and they’ll never look like me. And that’s ok, because fitness is about being the best you can be, not comparing yourself to others.
Embrace what you have, and help others embrace what they have. Fitness is funner with friends. Get them involved. Take a class, go for a walk, make a healthy dinner together. You’ll always have support and a fun activity to bond over.
this is one of the best things i’ve read on tumblr. Friends come in all different shapes, colors and sizes. May your friendships be everlasting
I just can’t NOT reblog this. Everyone should read it.
This was absolutely amazing, well worth the time to read, wow. Beautiful.
Yoga for hip openers
hello friends! ever since these photos of me started making the rounds on tumblr, the most common question i get asked is “what are hip openers?” so i thought i would make my next guide focused on that. hip openers are poses that help to loosen the muscles that connect to the hip joints. remember that these muscles are often very tight and be careful not to overstretch yourself. loosening the hips happens very very gradually. incorporating some of these poses into your yoga practice can help to achieve both front and side splits!
ps. i tried to put these in a coherent order so that you can flow through them with one leg, then go back and repeat the flow using the opposite leg!
- standing wide-legged forward fold - put your feet wider than shoulder width and bend forward while keeping the back as straight and flat as possible. you should feel the stretch in your hamstrings - hold for a few breaths, then rotate around to downward facing dog.
- lizard pose - start in downward facing dog and raise one leg up behind you, then swing it through to place your foot next to your hand, on the outside. keep your front knee at a 90 degree angle and sink into a deep lunge, with your back knee on the floor and leg extended. you’ll feel this one in your back leg’s hip flexor (along your hip crease) and also deep in your front leg’s hip joint.
- pigeon pose - from lizard pose, move your hand to the outside of your front foot, keep the knee bent, and pull your foot across so it’s near the opposite hand. bend the knee as generously as you want - the closer it is to being parallel with your body, the deeper the stretch. rest here, or go down to your elbows, or even lay forward as you advance in the pose. hold for 5 breaths.
- seated wide-legged forward fold - extend both legs wide as far as is comfortable. rest here, and then bend forward with a straight back. i also like to stretch by reaching toward one foot and then the other.
- head-to-knee forward bend - extend one leg and bend the other at the knee. gently bring your head to your knee while keeping your back straight and your core engaged. if you can’t get down far, just keep your back straight and hold for 3-5 breaths.
- wind relieving pose - come on to your back, bend one knee and interlace your fingers on your shin bone, about two inches below the knee. pull gently toward your body, keeping your back flush with the ground and engaging your core. you can also rotate your knee gently here.
- happy baby pose - bend legs and grab for the inside of your heels, and try to keep your back completely flush with the mat - this will give you the deepest stretch in this pose! you can also roll a bit to massage your lower back.
- reclining goddess pose - release legs from happy baby and let them fall open to the floor. try to keep your lower back close to the ground and put arms wherever is comfortable. relax here and appreciate your fantastic body!
hopefully this helps to answer some questions about hip openers! these the poses i focused on when i was trying to achieve the splits, but having loose hips can help with all kinds of other yoga poses and can also release a lot of tension from your lower back. happy hip-opening! :)
mat: Manduka Pro Black Sage
clothes: sports bra - lululemon flow Y IV, shorts - nike, hoodie - lululemon scuba, socks - smartwool
I been having hip problems I gotta give this a try
I just started this today and it fucking hurts. Hopefully I will be able to do a split in two weeks or maybe in a month.
I need these pants in my life.